Other Income on a TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Paul

Other Income on a TN

Post by Paul »

Hi there. I am in the US on a TN. I also have a hobby website (devoted to vintage cars). I don't sell the cars, nor try to make a profit, it is purely informational. However, I have the option to run a few ads on the site (Google Ads) that could help offset the hosting costs. Google requires your SSN to report any income they pay you... is this possible on a TN? I don't want to jeopardize my TN, but am not sure if this would be counted as a second job, as I am effectively doing it for a hobby, and am 'self-employed' in that I own the website. Not sure as I know capital gains are OK for TN people, but not if secondary income is the same. Thanks.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Withholding and paying tax is not the issue here.
The issue is whether the 'work' being done for this website is 'passive' enough to qualify as an investment rather than actual work.

Regardless if he is violating his TN status or not, he would still report the income.

The question of whether he is violating his TN is best left to the 'other' board.