Free Tax Filing Software for U.S. Income Taxes?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Ruth

Free Tax Filing Software for U.S. Income Taxes?

Post by Ruth »

I am a U.S. citizen residing in Canada. (My husband is not a U.S. citizen.) For filing with CRA, I use the free StudioTax software. For my U.S. return, I've just been mailing in the forms, since my tax situation is very simple (homemaker with almost no income, filing as Married Filing Separately).

Are there realistic options for free electronic filing with the IRS? TaxAct *seems* to have all that I need (e.g., Form 8891). Just wondering whether there are any gotchas.

I notice that H&R Block is in the habit of buying up the free tax prep software companies (first TaxCut, now they're trying to buy up TaxAct). So maybe this won't be an option next year anyway. Or are there other free electronic filing options?

Thanks.

Ruth
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

When you say you have almost no income, would that be less than US $9,350 in 2010, for example? If so, than strictly speaking, you don't need to file a US return at all. You would be under the amount of std. deduction + personal exemption (equivalent to Canadian basic personal amount) that would require you to file.

Filing anyway in Canada sets you up for any social benefits that are available to your household, since these are based on combined family net income...GST rebates, medical premium assistance, etc. In the US, you have no benefits coming to you, so there is nothing to be gained by filing a tax return when again, strictly speaking, it is not required.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Appreciate the attempt to help, but a US citizen in canada, even with no income MUST report the existence of RRSP on Form 8891 and tick box on schedule B, so a 1040 is always needed.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

Crikey, unbelievable. Thanks for setting me straight.
madhoa

Post by madhoa »

And FBARs have to be filed even if there is no ($0) of income .. also a few other informational returns.