Credit card accounts and FBAR?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

janell

Credit card accounts and FBAR?

Post by janell »

(Context - natural born Canadian, naturalized in Us when young, now trying to catch up with US since I learned I am still considered a US citizen)
After spending days getting my last five year account info for the FBAR form, I am now wondering if credit card accounts are also supposed to be included. This never even dawned on me, but when I read all accounts....???
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

Credit accounts should not be inlcuded on the FBAR form.
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

Credit cards are not considered taxable income unless the debt was forgiven.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Credit cards are however covered by FBAR, espaciially if you carried a "positive" balance. Launderers will use CC's to hide money, Treasury knows thatand includes them on FBAR.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

The FBAR filing requirement would seem to cover "prepaid credit card" accounts only. And by "prepaid", I assume they are talking about what I would call a "secured" credit card. If I have a poor credit history, or no credit history at all (landed immigrant, e.g.), I can deposit $500 in a savings account and get a credit card with a $500 limit. If I don't pay the cc bill, the financial institution has my $500 to pay it off.

Presumably the $500 savings account would be disclosed in FBAR as an asset with positive balance, not a liability, like other non-secured credit cards. Why would the US Treasury Dept care about my TD VISA balance?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

"Why would the US Treasury Dept care about my TD VISA balance?"

As I said, if it was prepaid and had a positive balance (any card can be pre-paid, just send them a check).

Same for a line of credit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

Good point about the line of credit...I hadn't considered those.
baby_king_bob

Post by baby_king_bob »

Almost any financial account you can imagine would be covered. From simple savings accounts to the cash value of life insurance policies.