Commuter definition

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shammykay

Commuter definition

Post by shammykay »

Hello - Factual resident of Canada and dual Us-Canadian citizen who lives and works exclusively in the US. Residual tie: Spouse. As I work exclusively in the US but am a factual not a deemed resident of Canada am I thus a commuter? May not be any physical commuting but I can’t be factually in one place and work in another without commuting! Year end 401k considerations.
nelsona

Re: Commuter definition

Post by nelsona »

Yes, anyone considered Cdn resident, but working in US is considered a commuter for RRSP purposes.

But, even with a spouse in Canada, you CAN be considered a treaty (deemed) non-resident, if you never or rarely visit your spouse, and they regularly visit you in uS instead.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D