US Citizen residing in Canada - IRA trading solution?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

MOX, this may be your decision to not do this, but unless the broker has been given specific direction to deny you ant trades, the account is in violation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

It's a complicated situation for them, perhaps. I use a US mailing address for all my Fido accounts, because that eliminates the unnecessary and wasteful mailing of trade confirmations when I do trade ETFs/mutual funds in my retirement accounts. Only when you have a US mailing address will they stop mailing paper trade confirmations and just send the confirmations by email. The mailing address is a PMB in a town 3 hours away that I visit 5-6 times a year for Costco runs, etc.

ALL my Fidelity accounts show my permanent, residential, home address as my Canadian address. But since they allow both a "permanent" and a "mailing" address for my accounts, I game the system a little bit.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you have been upfront about your both your residence, and physical location in canada, then they keep your non-retirement account open at their own risk, not yours. You have done what you can.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jalways747

usd to cad

Post by jalways747 »

mcmoxley, do you still use xetrade ? to transfer funds from usd to cad ?
anyone has other way/advice ?
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

Yes, I'm still using xetrade and have been for over 5 years. Never had a problem...highly recommend them.
mcmoxley

Post by mcmoxley »

Got a letter from Fidelity...they have noticed my Canadian address and after August 6, 2012, they will no longer be able to service my non-retirement account. No additional deposits of cash or securities allowed, no new security purchases. I can only sell positions and withdraw funds.

So bottom line again...use Fidelity for US-based RETIREMENT accounts such as traditional IRA, Roth IRA, workplace retirement plans such as 401(k) or 403(b) and you can continue to manage them normally after a move to Canada. But non-retirement brokerage accounts...forget about it. You are stuck with banks and their lousy CD rates.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... or, repatraite the funds to canada and invest in whatever you want.
rlb

Post by rlb »

Except, of course, PFICs, unless you are prepared for the pain that goes with them.
jalways747

Post by jalways747 »

i am told for ira a/c you can use schwab or t rowe price too but not vanguard