Filing back returns: 2008 recovery rebate?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

quickcanuck

Filing back returns: 2008 recovery rebate?

Post by quickcanuck »

I am preparing returns for 08, 09, and 10, and it appears no tax is due, so I'm hoping this will be enough to get me onside with the IRS. One strange item - Quicktax is telling me I am entitled to a $300 "Recovery Rebate" in 2008 - is that for real?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why not? You never got a check did you? You are probably entitled. Plus $1000 for each kid you have.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Ah - I just found it, line 70 on the 1040. I'll have to check to see if the accountant I hired filled this in. I wonder if I can file an amended return to claim it?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, but I would do this before October, based on time limit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hi Nelsona, Sorry, I meant to post this on the "poetic justice" thread - but thanks for responding. Is the time limit in my case this October?
I thought that if I file an amended 2008X, the limit for refunds is 3 years after the due date of the 2008 return, so wouldn't my limit be April 15, 2012? I might just try anyway and see what happens.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The limit is three years plus automatic extensions, which would be October.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to be precise, it is three years after the original deadline including extensions, which would be 3 years after oct16, 2009.
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Thank you nelsona - I'm going send this in right away.