Kids' Assets and Attribution Rules

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:55 am

Kids' Assets and Attribution Rules

Post by mark » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:22 am

I will immigrate to Canada with my family next year. Two of my children, who are 4 and 6 years old, have some assets in the forms of cash and stocks which were transferred legally from elder relatives. We keep the proof of gift records. I am wondering if my children have to report their assets to Canadian Government when immigrating. If they report, is it possible that CRA attribute the incomes to me or my spouse? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 16118
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:51 am

No one, including children, has to report their assets when immigrating to Canada.

Even if the money came directly from you, before you lived in Canada, the income generated would not be attributed to you.

Any income they earn will be solely in their name, unless you the parents give them funds after immigration, in which case that portion would be attributed to you.

Keep a record of the gifts, as well as the value at the time you immigrate (for ALL your families assets), as this will be used by you to determine any future cap gains.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>

Norbert Schlenker
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:22 pm
Location: The Dry Side of the Wet Coast

Post by Norbert Schlenker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:30 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelsona</i>

Even if the money came directly from you, before you lived in Canada, the income generated would not be attributed to you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's incorrect. If you transfer income producing assets to a minor child or grandchild, the attribution rules apply whenever both the transferor and transferee are tax residents of Canada. Whether the transfer occurred when one or the other or both were non-resident is irrelevant. See for a full discussion.

Keep the documents that show the money came from relatives who are either deceased or not in Canada.

Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:05 pm

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:17 am

On a related topic, you should note that all capital property is deemed to be acquired at fair market value on the date of entry to Canada. Therefore, any unrealized capital gain or loss would not have a tax effect when the property is later sold (or when the person emmigrates from Canada).


Mark T. Serbinski, CA, CPA

Post Reply