I work in Canada and the US; but where do I live?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

caffemaven

I work in Canada and the US; but where do I live?

Post by caffemaven »

OK. This is a bit complicated:

I'm a US citizen. Starting in January 2011 I took a job in Ontario, Canada on a work visa. I work there full time. Additionally I work 2 days a month at my old job in New York.

My Canadian work visa lists my workplace as my address. When I'm working, I stay in a dorm room at my job. When I'm not working, I stay with a friend in Quebec for free.

Otherwise I'm homeless. I have no address. My parents get my mail. I'm either sleeping at work (Ontario) at work (New York) or at my friends (Quebec).

I'll be in the US about 30 days this year. (24 for work, 6 for vacation)

Who do I primarily pay taxes too?
How will my investments be taxed?
Should I try to get a status in Canada?
Is there one firm that can manage EVERYTHING?
Help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Rehardless of where you live, your QC-source income is first taxed by QC and Canada.

Now, as to the rest of your income, you would need to determine BY TREATY, if you are still a US resident.

Since you dio not have a permenent abode in canada (you live in a dorm), if, and only if, you have a HOME in US available to you at all time will canada accept that you are still a US tax resident.

Take a look at CRA Foem NR74, which give guidelines on what ties in Canda nd abroad are looked at in determining if you are a Cdn resident or not.

But, to be considered a US tax resident in you situation (since you willspend more than 183 days in Canada in a calendar year), you absolutely have to have maintained home in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
caffemaven

Post by caffemaven »

Just to clarify. My main income source occurs in Ontario, not Quebec. I have a mailing address in the US, but no home. I have no home anywhere right now.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Soryy for the confusion.

Same answer. Since you don't have a home in US, and you spend more than 183 days in canada in 2011, you will be taxed in canad on your world income.

As a US citizen, you will ALSO< be taxed on your world income (like all US citizens rfegardless of where they live).

You can eliminate any US tax on your 1040, by either excluding your Cdn wages (by form 2555) and/or taking credit for the Cdn tax (on form 1116).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D