UScitizen,living in US with RRSP/RRIFand spousal RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

skaternurse

UScitizen,living in US with RRSP/RRIFand spousal RRSP

Post by skaternurse »

I am a US citizen living in the US for the last 20 year. No longer Landed Immigrant or any kind of legal Canadian Resident
I do have a Spousal RRSP/ RRSP and RRIF with distributions began the second half of 2023. Do I need to file in Canada? I have had my US taxes done complete with FBAR.

Thanks
nelsona

Re: UScitizen,living in US with RRSP/RRIFand spousal RRSP

Post by nelsona »

You should not have to report anything to Canada, assuming the following:
- Your RRSP and RRIF trustees know that you live in the US
- Your withdrawal was correctly withheld at a flat tax rate: 15% or 25%

You may wish to file a Cdn tax return if this RRIF/RRSP income makes up most of your total income.

For US:
How was your RRIF/RRSP income reported on your 1040? This income must be reported on your 1040, but typically, not all this income is taxable in US, as a portion of it was earned in Canada before moving to US. And the tax withheld by Canada should be used as a credit on your tax return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Re: UScitizen,living in US with RRSP/RRIFand spousal RRSP

Post by nelsona »

Just to clarify, the reason to file a Cdn tax return (known as a Section 217 return) would be to reduce the Cdn tax owed on the withdrawal. You are not required to do so, and as I said, you need to satisfy certain other world income conditions for it to benefit you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D