US Exit Tax and capital gain in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pyt

US Exit Tax and capital gain in Canada

Post by pyt »

LPR planning a return to Canada. meeting all three conditions to avoid being considered a "covered expatriate" therefore not subject to US exit tax.

Purchased US Treasury Stripped bond 15Aug40 at issue in 2013, and has been reporting earned interest yearly under OID rules. Current market value is about $30,000 below Total Cost basis but I intent to keep the bond until it matures. I do not have other securities with offsetting capital gains.

Because of the deemed disposition when becoming a Canadian resident, would this lower "acquisition" cost (being the current market value) require me to declare a capital gain when the bond matures?

Thanks in advance
nelsona

Re: US Exit Tax and capital gain in Canada

Post by nelsona »

Unfortunately, Yes. You should probably sell now or very soon after entering Canada; or *hope* that you can make a significant loss elsewhere in the two or three years before you do sell it (which is never good).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D