Advice for moving to US: TFSA, RRSP, Real Estate, Crypto

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ElrinV

Advice for moving to US: TFSA, RRSP, Real Estate, Crypto

Post by ElrinV »

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some advice on the best path forward with my retirement savings. I'll be relocating later this month to the US to work on a TN visa and have not had the chance (due to tax season) to talk to a tax accountant yet...

I have a decent amount of RRSP investments (self directed at iTrade, and in funds with a broker), Maxed out TFSAs mostly in iTrade holding some non-dividend Canadian ETFs, some non-registered investments at iTrade and a property where the primary residence exemption only covers some of the property, and also some cryptocurrencies.

Before I leave, should I sell any of these?
- RRSPs?
- TFSAs?
- Non-registered investments?
- Crypto?

The property will sell likely a bit later (after we leave), so I'm not sure how that will affect things either.

My wife will also join me on a TD visa - is there anything different she should be doing due to not working in the USA?

Thank you!