Amending US tax form

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cutesy

Amending US tax form

Post by Cutesy »

Hello,

I withdrew a chunk of RRSP money in 2023, and reported it on Form 1116 in February. However 25% Canadian taxes were automatically taken when I withdrew, and so I filed a Canadian tax return for Section 217 and learned today that I will be getting some money back, effectively reducing my Canadian taxes to 15%.
So now I need to amend the US tax form. Should I do that now (May 2nd), or can I just wait until next year to correct it? I owed/paid US a bit of money this year in taxes (under $200) so wondering now if the amount increases, will they charge me interest and is it better to do it sooner rather than later?

Thank you.
nelsona

Re: Amending US tax form

Post by nelsona »

You should amend your1040 using 1040X and sending in a revised 1116. It is unlikely that the lower Cdn tax will result in more US tax, as you probably didn't use much of the Cdn tax on your 1116 anywys.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D