Timing the selling of US home when immigrating to Canada with PR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

forlines

Timing the selling of US home when immigrating to Canada with PR

Post by forlines »

Hello - my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find anything on our exact situation.

We are US citizens attempting to move to ON via the Express Entry program. This should result in PR status and start our journey toward dual-citizenship. My question concerns the timing of selling our US home - is there any advantage to selling it before moving vs. after moving tax-wise? Similarly, if we move with only a work-visa, does this change the answer to this question?

Thank you in advance for the guidance.
nelsona

Re: Timing the selling of US home when immigrating to Canada with PR

Post by nelsona »

It is simpler if you sell before moving, but you would have two years to sell without any US taxes (unless you rent it out) and there is no chance that any gains would occur after entering Canada (which would be taxable in Canada).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D