US Brokerage and Bank Account address after moving to Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shallowcat

US Brokerage and Bank Account address after moving to Canada

Post by shallowcat »

Hi I am new to this forum and hope this is a right place to ask such questions.
I recently moved from U.S. to Canada but I still maintain some bank accounts and brokerage accounts in U.S. with a U.S. address. In the last two years in U.S. I am Resident Alien for U.S. federal tax purpose and I belive for this year I will still be according to U.S. substantial-presence-test. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... sence-test

I know there will be some hassle of account closing or converting happen if I want to change my address to Canada for those banks or brokerages so I am still keeping them as is. But I am a little bit worrying about the tax situation. So the my asset in my U.S. banks and brokeages will probabaly only gnerate 1099-INT and 1099-DIV form since I don't plan to sell/buy Stocks when I stay in Canada. I only have Stock ETFs,Certificated Desposit and Cash in my U.S. accounts.

My question is:
1) Is there any risk regarding to tax if I don't change my address when the next year tax season comes?
2) I will be filing tax as residents of both country next year considering the U.S. substantial-presence-test, right?

Thank you