Definition of world wide income for Canadian section 217

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cakik55

Definition of world wide income for Canadian section 217

Post by cakik55 »

Hello, I need a help..

I am considering of withdrawing some money from my RRSP. I am a Canadian who lives in US with my green card since June 2021 and have been married to a US citizen.
I am trying to get a lower tax on the withdrawal than 25% withholding tax to elect section 217 if I am eligible.. just simple question, the world income for section 217 means my household income (both of my husband's income and mine) or just mine? We are filing tax return jointly in US if it does matter.
nelsona

Re: Definition of world wide income for Canadian section 217

Post by nelsona »

It is just your income, as Cdns do not file joint returns in Canada.

But you may include your spouse's medical expenses when calculating your deductions, which can allow you to take more of your RRSP at a zero or low interest. 217 is usually only beneficial if you are not working.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
LucilleLoveland

Post by LucilleLoveland »

I remember when I moved to a different state and had to figure out my tax situation all over again. It's like a whole new world of forms and regulations! As for your question, I believe the world income for section 217 typically refers to your household income, including both yours and your spouse's. Double-checking with a tax expert might give you a clearer picture, though. Oh, and speaking of clarity, have you ever tried using apps to manage your finances? I stumbled upon this one that's known as the best app to make money by playing games. It's a fun way to earn a little extra cash while staying on top of your finances.
LucilleLoveland

Post by LucilleLoveland »

I remember when I moved to a different state and had to figure out my tax situation all over again. It's like a whole new world of forms and regulations! As for your question, I believe the world income for section 217 typically refers to your household income, including both yours and your spouse's. Double-checking with a tax expert might give you a clearer picture, though. Oh, and speaking of clarity, have you ever tried using apps to manage your finances? I stumbled upon this one that's known as the best app to make money https://wealthofgeeks.com/apps-that-pay ... lay-games/ by playing games. It's a fun way to earn a little extra cash while staying on top of your finances.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, it does not involve household income. Cdns do not file joint returns. Please do not post misinformation as part of your spam
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D