SRSP claim on US taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sisinpacific

SRSP claim on US taxes

Post by sisinpacific »

I have dual citizenship and live in the US. I have an SRSP that my broker refused to allow me to trade so I cashed it out (probably a mistake but OW) in 2023. The broker withheld 25% for tax. My accountant has no idea what to do with it for filing in the US. How do I deal with it on my US taxes? Is it treated as an investment account and only taxed on gains? IRA income? Please help me out. THanks
nelsona

Re: SRSP claim on US taxes

Post by nelsona »

not sure what an SRSP is. Clarify.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sisinpacific

Post by sisinpacific »

spousal RSP
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I assume you mean spousal RRSP.

You would report the entire amount (before tax) as pension income on 1040. The taxable portion would be the growth since you moved to US.

The 25% tax would be used on a form 1116 to write off against the US tax that you owe on the taxable portion.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D