Claiming medical, disability by NR Canadian Selling Rental Property

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

redbeer

Claiming medical, disability by NR Canadian Selling Rental Property

Post by redbeer »

Hi all,

Can a NR Canadian living in U.S. claim any of medical expenses, disability, infirmity or caregiver amounts on a T1-NR or Section 216 return when reporting sale of rental property?

These do appear to be selectable in the Ufile software but entered amounts do not seem to take any effect.

Many thanks.
nelsona

Re: Claiming medical, disability by NR Canadian Selling Rental Property

Post by nelsona »

No. The 216 return has no provision for lowering taxes other than RRSP contributions, FHSA contributions or some legal fees.

216 is designed to determine taxation of rental income and expenses only.

If you have other income in Canada that would be reportable on a non-resident return (including a 217 return), you would claim medical expenses on that return
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

216 election is reported on form T1159, which is VERY SHORT.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
redbeer

Post by redbeer »

Thank you nelsona.
I do have capital gains and interest and went to do T1 for Non-residents in UFile.
But as I entered medical expenses (which are more than 3% of net income), they seem to be ignored. Wondering if it is a software issue or there is some other criteria in effect.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

What capital gains and interest could you be including? Interest is tax-free for non-residents, and cap gains (except for selling Cdn real estate) are not taxable in Canada for US residents.

Just file your 216.
redbeer

Post by redbeer »

Capital gain is indeed for a sale of Canadian real estate.
And thank you for the note on interest, I got an NR4 and I will be reporting that on a US return.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Then you can claim medical expenses on the NR return, but since you are not reporting world income, your deductions may be limited.

If it is not working with the software you are using, contact them.
redbeer

Post by redbeer »

Yes, I found that the limitation for medical expenses is the 90% rule, they can be claimed if Canadian-sourced income is at least 90% of the world income.