Form 1116

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Bernadett01

Form 1116

Post by Bernadett01 »

I am a US citizen, resident of Canada. I understand that Cpp/OAS do not have to be included on my 1040, as per US / Canada treaty. On form 1116, are these govt pensions included on 1 a?
Also, how do I calculate part 2, foreign taxes paid? Some of my income was taxed, and some, including CPP/OAS, were not, and now I have tax owing. So do I include the total tax I will pay in Canada, even on pension benefits that are not taxed by the US?
nelsona

Re: Form 1116

Post by nelsona »

CPP/OAS/SS are simply excluded from reporting on your 1040. So there is no need for any 1116 for these items, since there is no US tax to recover.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Bernadett01

Post by Bernadett01 »

I called the tax help line for the IRS. I was told not to include the CPP/OAS on the 1040, but include it on Line 1a on form 1116, gross income from sources within Canada. The rest of the form helps calculate the appropriate tax credits.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, you could do that, but realize that there is no US tax to claim against. You will be building up some FTC for POSSIBLE future use, but will not get any credit this year, as none of it was taxable in US. The GROSS amount on line 1a of 1116 would still be ZERO, but you would have Cdn tax to report, and save for future (unless you have other Cdn income to report as general income.)

But from a mechanical point of view if you do nit include it on your return, how will you claim that it is foreign INCOME?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D