IRA to RRSP transfer

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jferna27

IRA to RRSP transfer

Post by jferna27 »

Looking for advice on this transfer! Assume all values converted to CAD. Moved back to Canada permanently in 2023 from working in USA on TN visa.
- Withdrew $30k from IRA, taxed 25% (15% tax 10% penalty) topped up $22.5k to $30k with additional funds, contributed full $30k to RRSP
- Tax time for CRA Reported $30k IRA withdrawal as foreign income, also reported $30k contribution transfer to RRSP
- So far no extra taxes from Canada, need to claim back 25% tax I paid in USA ($7500)
- Made $70k in Canada and paid $18k in Canadian income
- From the foreign income and FTC sheet I am credited 15% of the tax on the $30k, so $5000 of the $7500 I paid to the USA

How can I claim the remaining 10% penalty in full on my CRA return? I have tried "Other Deductions" line 25600 and 23200 but these will give me a % of taxes paid on income and I don't think I am supposed to put anything in there because I already reported the income on the full $30k on the FTC worksheet.

Thank you in advance for any help!
nelsona

Re: IRA to RRSP transfer

Post by nelsona »

Pension income from US, since it was not periodic, is NOT limited to the 15%, so the Cdn form should not be limiting your US tax,
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jferna27

Post by jferna27 »

Is it correct to use form T2209 for this case? I am still not able to claim the full amount because of the calculation on the T2209 (IRA amount/net income in Canada) X basic federal amount. This ends up being a value lower than the taxes I paid in the USA and therefore I am only able to claim the lower amount!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correct. For this type of transfer to work, you must have a good income in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D