Question for RESP income report

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

snowbird

Question for RESP income report

Post by snowbird »

For tax year 2022, my RESP account had some loss in statement. I didn't report loss in tax form.
For year 2023, it has some income comparing to year 2022, but the value is still less than 2021.
Need I report income for 2023?
nelsona

Re: Question for RESP income report

Post by nelsona »

Just like any non-sheltered account, you need to report the income events (interest and dividends) as well as any cap gains or loss events which occur during the year. It is not sufficient to look at the value from year to year. You could have a loss in value but still incur taxable interest dividends and cap gains.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
snowbird

Post by snowbird »

Thanks for your reply.
The RESP account is from Canadian Scholarship Trust Plan. By statement, we can only see "Income on principal" and "Income on grant(s)", no list for detailed activity.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So report those "incomes". Or ask the trustee for better documentation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D