Question about T2209-Att (Other eligible foreign income line)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Grad467_2

Question about T2209-Att (Other eligible foreign income line)

Post by Grad467_2 »

Good afternoon all and I hope all are well. I am using StudioTax 2023 to file my taxes. I work for a US employer and long story short, they issued Canadians who work for them both a T4 and W2's. The T4 shows all of my wages for 2024 in box 14 converted from US to Canadian dollars. The W2 only specifies income sourced while working physically in the US (I am a Canadian daily commuter). I worked in the US approximately 65% so income on the W2 is correct.

My question is this. When I used StudioTax 2022, I did not include my US wages separately under line 10400 (Other employment income) since my T4 issued for 2022 covers all wages for my US employer converted over to Canadian dollars (basically the company issued the T4's and W2's for 2022 as described above for 2023).

When I used used StudioTax 2022 to report foreign income and foreign tax paid under T2209-Att, the software allowed me to enter both 'other eligible foreign income' and 'other eligible foreign tax paid' and I did not enter my converted foreign income into line 10400 since box 14 in my T4 covers all income for 2022. This year though, the software states that "Other eligible foreign income" MUST be first entered on page 3 of the T1 General form when entering info into T2209-Att and it's highlighted in red. The software allows for me not to enter anything for 10400 and I can still enter the amounts for 'other eligible foreign income' and 'other eligible foreign tax paid' and the software uses these numbers for the various calculations and inputs the amounts respectfully.

My question I guess is has something changed from 2022 to 2023 where now to report 'other eligible foreign income' and 'other eligible foreign tax paid', an amount has to be included on line 10400? I understand where this may apply but my T4 already includes all of my income for 2023.

I assume in my case I can simply ignore the MUST statement and leave 10400 blank like I did in 2022?

Thanks in advance for any information.
nelsona

Re: Question about T2209-Att (Other eligible foreign income line)

Post by nelsona »

It seems like only the software has changed. Your T4 and W2 are correct, and very helpful to you. If you need to just subtract the W2 income from the T4 income and put that on the wage line, and the W2 income on the other wage line, if that satisfies the software.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Grad467_2

Post by Grad467_2 »

Thanks for the reply Nelsona.

The software itself does not stop me from leaving 10400 blank (it just highlights that I MUST put the foreign income in first before entering the foreign income into T2209) so I will proceed to leave it blank and still use the foreign income & tax in their respective lines (basically what I did for 2022 tax year).

I guess my question was whether Canadian tax law(s) changed from last year where 10400 cannot be blank when declaring foreign income / tax (thus the software asking to enter a value into 10400 before doing the T2209). I assume that is not the case and will leave 10400 blank.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, it is simply a software glitch.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Betfner20

Post by Betfner20 »

Factors that affect seed germination [url=https://hempharvesthouse.com]https://hempharvesthouse.com[/url] can significantly impact the success of cannabis cultivation. Environmental conditions, such as temperature, moisture, and light, play a crucial role in triggering the germination process. Seeds typically require a specific temperature range to initiate germination, with most cannabis strains preferring temperatures between 20-30 degrees Celsius.