Filing taxes in the US on a TN visa (continuing old post)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Villatour

Filing taxes in the US on a TN visa (continuing old post)

Post by Villatour »

Canadian citizen here, arrived in the US April 1, 2023 on a TN visa. Wife and two kids on a TD visa.

It looks like I incorrectly filled the tax withholding form, indicating I had three dependents because, well, I do. (I was also based on this resource (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... dependents) which says that “nonresident aliens who are U.S. nationals, residents of Canada, Mexico and South Korea (…) can have a qualifying dependent. In general, a dependent is a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.")

Add the fact that I work for a small employer where I am their first-ever foreign worker, and you get a perfect storm where I'm the only one drowning.

Regardless, the local HR Block I saw last Saturday tells me I owe $8k to the IRS. Worse, he says until my kids and wife get their ITIN, I will continue to be treated by the IRS as single and childless. And even when they get the ITIN, it won't be as beneficial as it would be if they had a social security number, which as TD visa holders they never will.

Pretty angry, if I'm honest, that these visas make it impossible for the holder with actual dependents to see them treated or acknowledged as such.

Is there a way to reduce that considerable burden or at least prevent the IRS from continuing to treat me as a childless single man?
nelsona

Re: Filing taxes in the US on a TN visa (continuing old post)

Post by nelsona »

HRBlockheads do not know anything about non-US citizen taxes.

Once you get ITINs they will all be treated like US residents.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Re: Filing taxes in the US on a TN visa (continuing old post)

Post by nelsona »

You file the request for ITINs along with your return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D