IRS forms for claiming U.S. FTC on Canadian LT Cap Gain

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

AvalonJeff

IRS forms for claiming U.S. FTC on Canadian LT Cap Gain

Post by AvalonJeff »

Dual CAN/US citizen resident Canada, MFS. I've previously used forms 1116 to claim FTC on General category income, as well as interest and dividends in the Passive category. I have not previously had to report capital gains. I need to know how to report the gain (and claim the U.S. FTC) on a single sale of qualified TSX stock. I’m attempting to use form 8949-B and Schedule D to report the gain and then use the Passive form 1116 to take the FTC. But I don’t see any way on Schedule D to report that the gain is Canadian sourced and link it to the 1116 form in the same way that I can do with interest and dividend income. How do I report that the capital gain is foreign sourced in Canada and link it to the passive 1116? Hope this explanation isn’t too confusing. I can definitely use some suggestions. Thanks.