FTC on RSU capital gain

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

maskdoll

FTC on RSU capital gain

Post by maskdoll »

Background: US commuter, residents for both US and Canada

1) just to clarify that there is no cap on FTC on US-based employment income

2) Generally speaking, FTC on foreign capital gain has a 15% cap on US tax paid except it's US-sourced. I wonder if RSU issued by a US company would qualify the exempt of 15% cap? (It's not a publicly traded company, it's an RSU bayback event for a private company)

3) RSU holding will be less than 1 year, so definitely will be taxed as ordinary income and much higher than 15%. In case 15% cap on FTC can't be exempted, can I file 1116 for additional tax paid to CRA? I thought form 1116 is for income earned outside of US.

4) The above thinking also leads to a more general question: every year when I file tax for both US and Canada, can I file 1116 for additional tax paid to CRA on US employment income?

Thanks and appreciate it.
maskdoll

Re: FTC on RSU capital gain

Post by maskdoll »

Forgot to ask another question: if US tax paid can't be used all as FTC, will the extra goes to line 23200 on T1?
maskdoll

Post by maskdoll »

Forgot to ask an important question: if US tax paid can't be used fully as FTC, will extra go to line 23200 in T1?
maskdoll

Post by maskdoll »

Any suggestions?