RRSP Withdrawal FreeTaxUSA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

listerator

RRSP Withdrawal FreeTaxUSA

Post by listerator »

I'm a US tax resident and have been filing my taxes using FreeTaxUSA for the last few years since I ceased Canadian tax residency.

I decided to close a small RRSP account I had and take a withdrawal.

I can't figure out how to properly report it on FreeTaxUSA. I could fill out a phony 1099-R, but I dont think Questrade has a payer-ID. I see people putting in 99-0999999. Does that show up on the return or anywhere or make any difference?

What is the best software people are using to report RRSP withdrawals? Is it TaxAct?

And then the other problem I'm having is filing the Form1116 for the 25% RRSP withholding. I contacted support and they said its not possible, because the form 1116 form is only triggered by flowing through foreign tax withholding from 1099-DIV and 1099-INT forms.

Any help/insights would be appreciated! Thanks!
ND

Re: RRSP Withdrawal FreeTaxUSA

Post by ND »

Questrade does have EIN, which you can use free online EIN finders to locate

FYI in context of 1065 Schedule K-1 and K-3 the IRS has issued a statement concerning the removal of FOREIGNUS as a taxpayer identification number (TIN). If the foreign partner does not have a valid SSN or TIN, then enter 000-00-0000 if the foreign partner is an individual or 00-0000000 if the foreign partner is an entity.

Investigate whether this applies to other contexts such as yours.