First time US tax filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Paul13

First time US tax filing

Post by Paul13 »

Hello,
I worked for Canadian company for 6 months and US company for 6 months in 2023.
TN visa holder, hybrid job, daily commuter to US (3 days a week), Canadian resident and US non resistant.

1. How should I submit the US taxes? I think 1040NR and can it be filed online? Can you please provide website which supports online submission?
2. How can I take advantage of the tax treaty? Can it be done with 1040NR online tax filing OR has to be paper?
3. Which option is better, 1040NR or tax treaty or both are same?
4. I am filing Canadian taxes by my own and understand it. Can I do the same for US since it is only W2?
5. My wife works in Canada. Do I need to report her income for US tax filing?

Apologies for dumb questions but need your help to understand. I tried to find answers from other posts but couldn't so asking here.

Thank you so much.
horroraround

Re: First time US tax filing

Post by horroraround »

Are there no tax provisions in your work contract?
Paul13

Post by Paul13 »

No, there is nothing like that.!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The issue of commuter and first year taxes have been dealt with here ad infinitum. PLEASE research.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D