Is HSA and US healthcare taxable income?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

saluri

Is HSA and US healthcare taxable income?

Post by saluri »

Hello,

I am a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada and working in the US. I cross the border everyday into the US to go to work. I have 401K, HSA and US healthcare for the last year that were deducted from my gross salary. I know they are not taxable in the US but would all three (401K, US healthcare and HSA) be counted as deductibles from my gross salary to get the taxable income for Canadian tax purposes?

Thanks,
SA
nelsona

Re: Is HSA and US healthcare taxable income?

Post by nelsona »

The contributions can be excluded from your gross wages, as they are in the US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
saluri

Post by saluri »

I am sorry, it was a little unclear. You are saying when I calculate my total income for CANADIAN TAX purpose, it should be which of the following?

1. Taxable income = Gross income - 401K - HSA - healthcare
2. Taxable income = Gross income - 401K
3. Taxable income = Gross income

Thanks,
Sireesha
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Gross Income - HSA.

Your 401(k) contributions are handled by another form (RC268), and your medical premiums become part of your Medical expenses for the year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D