Tax Filing Software

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

goldstone

Tax Filing Software

Post by goldstone »

Does anyone have a recommendation for free or reasonably priced software for filing a straightforward 1040 ? Married filing jointly, one W2, 2 dependants, only complication is foreign interest and dividends and need to file a 8938.

I tried searching the forum but didn't find anything. I also looked at a few of the products indicated by IRS freefile but they seemed very clunky.

Thanks for any suggestions.
nelsona

Re: Tax Filing Software

Post by nelsona »

I use taxact. I doubt that any of the off-the-shelf programs do 8938, but you can check before paying.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
goldstone

Post by goldstone »

Thanks Nelsona
Domeani

Post by Domeani »

Hi Nelsona,

Do you use the Online or Desktop version of TaxAct? Is one preferable over the other? I see the Desktop costs more compared to Online but then one (supposedly) doesn't need to have an online account with TaxAct, if one cares about that.

Thank you

nelsona wrote:
> I use taxact. I doubt that any of the off-the-shelf programs do 8938, but
> you can check before paying.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MaggieA

Post by MaggieA »

In recent years a number of expat-oriented US tax programs have appeared. These are worth considering. My daughter favours MyExpatTaxes. Here's a very good review article: https://medium.com/@tapinternational/wh ... 158e12af1f
ND

Post by ND »

Drake