Taxes for Canadian family in the US on TN visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Villatour

Taxes for Canadian family in the US on TN visa

Post by Villatour »

We arrived in the US on April 1, 2023. I have a TN visa and both my kids and wife have a TD visa. They are described in all the documents as my dependents, which is what they are because they cannot work or even get a social security number. So, when I filled out my tax withholding last year, I indicated they are all my dependents. Not sure if this is connected, but it also looks like no federal taxes are beign deducted from my paycheck. Should I just wait until I file my taxes later this month at my local HR Block to see what's going on? Where did I err — if indeed err I did?

Thanks for any help.
nelsona

Re: Taxes for Canadian family in the US on TN visa

Post by nelsona »

You must have made errors in filling out your W-4 withholding certificate, if indeed no taxes were withheld. You should file a new one with your employer NOW for 2024 to fix this going forward.

You will end up with (a) a HUGE tax bill now and (b) a penalty for not having sufficient tax withheld. Ouch.

Btw, first-year taxes are very difficult, and FAR above the capabilities of your corner HR Blockhead, since they need to be coordinated with your final Cdn departure tax return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Villatour

Post by Villatour »

You were totally correct. I may have made a mistake in trusting my local HR Block guy who said he could handle this. I met with him las Saturday and he says I ow $8k to the IRS. He initiated the request for an ITIN for my kids and wife and says I am now being treated as single without dependents precisely because they do not yet have said ITIN.

Is it too late to involve another professional?
Villatour

Post by Villatour »

You were totally correct. I may have made a mistake in trusting my local HR Block guy who said he could handle this. I met with him las Saturday and he says I ow $8k to the IRS. He initiated the request for an ITIN for my kids and wife and says I am now being treated as single without dependents precisely because they do not yet have said ITIN.

Is it too late to involve another professional?