US resident worked in Canada for US employer for most of 2023

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

expatcaus

US resident worked in Canada for US employer for most of 2023

Post by expatcaus »

Hello, I'm wondering what need to be done if a US citizen worked in Canada remotely for more than 183 days and became PR with W2 income (have not considered the tax consequences while doing it). What's be done cannot be reversed. I'm wondering how to file 2023 taxes? Do I file 1040 first and also file to CRA as a tax resident by reporting my W2 as foreign employment income and claim foreign tax credit with CRA for tax paid to IRS? No withholding was done in Canada as my employer did not know I worked in Canada. I will fix this issue in 2024 but do I have trouble with CRA in 2023 if I just file as mentioned above as tax resident with foreign employment income? Or any other way to deal with my Canadian tax obligations? Thank you in advance for your input on this.
expatcaus

Re: US resident worked in Canada for US employer for most of 2023

Post by expatcaus »

To clarify more details the stay in Canada is to be with my partner who is a PR so I think the tie breaker may make me a Canadian resident.