Proving Dual Citizenship For Covered Expat Exemption

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ODLUM

Proving Dual Citizenship For Covered Expat Exemption

Post by ODLUM »

I'm a dual Canadian/US citizen wanting to renounce my US citizenship. I am fully compliant with my U.S. tax filing. Under the net worth test, I will be considered a "covered expatriate" effective the date I renounce. However, as a dual citizen, I understand I might be exempt from being covered. My situation: born in the U.S. 60 years ago to Canadian parents. Moved permanently back to Canada as a 1-year old child and have never worked, nor lived in the US since.

Am I correct to think I'm automatically exempt from being a covered expatriate? What documentation would I have to provide the IRS to validate this claim? I have a US birth certificate but only a registration of birth abroad when I was brought back to Canada as a child. This states I am a Canadian Citizen under section 5 (1)(b) of the Canadian Citizenship Act, but does not specifically say I'm Canadian as of my date of birth. I used the registration to obtain a Canadian Citizenship card but I don't have a Canadian Birth Certificate. Is this a problem?
MaggieA

Re: Proving Dual Citizenship For Covered Expat Exemption

Post by MaggieA »

I'm not a lawyer nor have I renounced US citizenship myself, but I'm pretty certain that being a dual citizen does not save you from covered expatriate status. Very, very few people renounce US citizenship without having another citizenship to fall back on! I recommend you start pursuing the often-recommended method for getting your assets down under the 2M USD threshold. Gifts to family members, charitable donations.