FBAR amendment / account types

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

fadius

FBAR amendment / account types

Post by fadius »

Hello,

My wife is a US/Canadian dual citizen living in Canada.
We've been filing her FBAR and reporting all the bank/RRSP accounts on there.

While preparing the 2023 FBAR, noticed that we made a mistake on the balance of one of the accounts in the 2022 FBAR. The mistake is relatively significant (about 35% of the total balance across all accounts). We plan on filing an amended 2022 FBAR with the corrected amount. The balance was correctly reported in the 2021 FBAR.
-Any reason for concern here? I'm thinking not since it was correctly reported in 2021 but thought I'd ask.
-The form is asking for a BSA identifier, is this required for amending? where to get that from.

Additionally, we've been using account type 'other' for RRSP accounts (invested in mutual funds/ETFs) and writing "registered retirement savings plan" in the description box. As of 2023 she also has a TFSA GIC and we were planning to also use 'other'. However, I've recently read that these should be reported as 'securities'.
-Is it best to stick to what we've been doing? or change the type to 'securities' going forward?
-Safe to assume that it's not worth amending past FBARs for that?

Thank you
fadius

Re: FBAR amendment / account types

Post by fadius »

update: found the BSA identifier in Fincen FBAR acknowledgement email... will use that in amended FBAR