Do I need to report stocks dividends on 1040NR if withholding already applied?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

heiwang88

Do I need to report stocks dividends on 1040NR if withholding already applied?

Post by heiwang88 »

Hello,

I am a Cdn citizen living in Canada who will be filing a 1040NR this year. I gave up my green card Jan last year, and I do not meet the criteria for the exit tax. I have US rental incomes and some W2 income from stock grants from previous years.

I have transferred my brokerage account to RBC and updated my status as a Non-US person. As such, any dividends I received last year already had a 15% tax withholding. I was wondering if such dividends income needs to be reported on my 1040NR, since they're technically "US-sourced"?
nelsona

Re: Do I need to report stocks dividends on 1040NR if withholding already applied?

Post by nelsona »

Yes, you report them on the NEC page under dividends, and use the 15% rate. Include the 15% in your tax paid line.

If you were not filing a 1040NR, you would not need to report these.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
heiwang88

Re: Do I need to report stocks dividends on 1040NR if withholding already applied?

Post by heiwang88 »

Thanks Nelsona. I tried this but it's not letting me e-file the return because it expects a 1042-S with a matching withheld value. My canadian broker didn't issue a 1042-S to me (only a T5 with the foreign tax paid amount on Box 16). Not sure if I should "convert it" into a 1042-S by manually inputting eqv fields, or file by paper. Any suggestions here? Thank you!

RETURN NOT ELIGIBLE FOR E-FILE: IRS Business Rule "F1040NR-020" states that the following amounts must equal the amount on line 25g, "Form(s) 1042-S," of Form 1040-NR; otherwise, the return will be rejected: - Line 9, "Net tax withheld during 2023," of all Forms SSA-1042S (use line 7, "Amount of tax withheld," if line 9 does not have a value) - Line 10, "Total withholding credit," of all Forms 1042-S - Line 13, "Federal tax withheld," of all Forms RRB-1042S If you made any adjustment to a "Tax withheld" amount on screen NR2 (Schedule NEC) that caused these amounts to not be equal, this return must be paper-filed unless further adjustments correct the inequality.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not every return can be efiled.

You could create a 1042-S slip but I beleive this requires a code of the slip.

Mail it in.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
heiwang88

Post by heiwang88 »

Thanks Nelsona! The slip wasn't available online, but I contacted my bank (RBC) and they were able to provide me a 1042-S slip.

Others can try the same if they're running into the same issue.