RPPs on FBAR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sasktoaz

RPPs on FBAR

Post by sasktoaz »

I am a Canadian citizen with permanent residency in the US. Last year, my first year filing taxes in the US, I reported my undistributed Canadian defined contribution RPP on the FBAR. I am now reading that RPPs do not need to be reported on the FBAR. Is there consequences for reporting something on the FBAR you didn't need to? Can I leave it off this year or do I need to keep reporting it now?
nelsona

Re: RPPs on FBAR

Post by nelsona »

RPPs do not meet any of the criteria for FBAR reporting.
I would stop including it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sasktoaz

Post by sasktoaz »

nelsona wrote:
> RPPs do not meet any of the criteria for FBAR reporting.
> I would stop including it.

Thank you. Would Form 8938 apply? The amount in the RPP did not meet the threshold last year but I expect it will this year.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think you can figure that out. It depends on ALL your foreign holdings, not just one account.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D