Us citizen selling selling their home with CDN spouse

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MIKE2000Z28

Us citizen selling selling their home with CDN spouse

Post by MIKE2000Z28 »

I know there is a 250k usd exemption, the question is do I divide the capital gain by 50 percent since I own half the house? So I make 300k, do you report 150k?

Thanks,
nelsona

Re: Us citizen selling selling their home with CDN spouse

Post by nelsona »

Yes, you report half the gain, which means you should be tax fee, and may not even have to report the sale.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

"and may not even have to report the sale', if Cdn house and/or otherwise no 1099-S issued, don't report, if 1099-s issued, report.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The importance of the phrase "MAY not have to report" seems to have been overlooked.

I wonder what Canadian entity would issue a 1099-S for a sale of a Canadian house by two Canadian residents?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

nowhere in poster's question does it state that the sold property was located in Canada and not in the US
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Mike, a long-time poster, lives in QC.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And a US citizen living in US "selling their home", would not care about the citizenship of the spouse, since they would both be US tax residents.
ND

Post by ND »

But Cdn spouses and current residents selling a US property, whose 2/5 yes residency qualified it as principle residence, would.
ND

Post by ND »

The importance of the phrase "MAY not have to report" seems to have been overlooked. These were your words, not mine. There's no overlooking when clarifying when and when not an excluded sale would be reported on 1040.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They live in Canada. They will not be issued a 1099-S.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

He has alreay stated he qualifies for exemption. Done,
ND

Post by ND »

So, you're saying that in your original reply 'Yes, you report half the gain, which means you should be tax fee, and may not even have to report the sale', you should only have stated 'Yes, you report half the gain, which means you should be tax fee'
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Agreed. You made the distinction between reporting and paying tax in your reply. So did I.