Got TN however working from Canada most of the time

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

seansai23

Got TN however working from Canada most of the time

Post by seansai23 »

Hi

Trying to understand how and from where to file taxes.

Got TN and worked from US about 2 months than client allowed me to work from home i.e Canada.

I have 401k from employer, now want to buy some etf and options; USA does not allow to open trading account for non us citizen. I am thinking to open account trading account (not decided in RRSP, TFSA or not in either just trading account)

Now year end is coming so question is my payroll setup in USA and pay taxes there as employer setup that way after getting my I94 and TN.

How to file taxes and where?
nelsona

Re: Got TN however working from Canada most of the time

Post by nelsona »

You have made it complicated, but you will report ALL world income in Canada, and report wages earned while physically in US on a 1040NR.

Canada will give you credit for the tax you calculate on your 1040NR, plus sny state taxes, as well as SS and medicare.

Be careful with the 401(k), since Canada will only credit you with 401(K) made during time you work in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you live in Canada, you can only have investment/trading account in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
seansai23

Post by seansai23 »

Thanks, Nelsona.

I did little reasearch on 401k, as it will reduce my RRSP. Thinking to stop it after Dec 31, 2023.

I need to do some more reseacrh 401k and RRSP.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Look more carefully.

Form RCA268, allows 401(K) contributions to be deductible in Canada ONLY when contributed while working physically in the US.