U.S. gift tax applies for common law couple?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

TLchap

U.S. gift tax applies for common law couple?

Post by TLchap »

I am purchasing a home in BC with my partner, and the two of us are making unequal contributions toward the purchase price. We are recognized as a common law couple in Canada, but we are not registered as domestic partners in a U.S. jurisdiction. Would there be a gift tax obligation in the U.S. (for me as an American citizen) if we title the home as a joint tenancy? Are we considered as spouses in the eyes of the IRS?
nelsona

Re: U.S. gift tax applies for common law couple?

Post by nelsona »

IRS recognizes common-law marriage for tax purposes.

Remember, however, that a US citizen giving to a non-citizen, even a spouse, has limitations.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu ... 0liability.

"If your spouse is not a U.S. citizen, tax-free gifts are limited to present interest gifts whose total value is below the annual exclusion amount, which is $164,000 (for 2022) and $175,000 (for 2023). There is no lifetime gift tax credit available to offset tax where such gifts result in a tax liability."

You would be, in essence giving them the amount of down payment to make the down payment 50-50, if you are making the house owned 60-50.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
TLchap

Post by TLchap »

Thank you for your reply and the helpful link!

Am I correct in understanding that there is no need to file a Form 709 as long as the difference between our contributions is less than the exclusion amount (or if we opt for a TIC title with shares proportionate to our respective contributions)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I wouldn;t be 100% sure about your second option. since this might make part the house's value what is considered as the gift.

Example:

$1.000,000 home. You put $200K, they put $100K. If you split the house 50-50, then, is essence, you are gifting them $167K: 500K they now own minus the 333K they contributed toward. In my opinion, it would be safer to give them $50K and go truly halfsies on the house.

I'll let you look at the regs for 709.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D