IRA to RRSP transfer

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Domeani

Re: IRA to RRSP transfer

Post by Domeani »

Deadline to receive 1042-S is March 15 - https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1042s ... 278ad0e170 . So technically there are still two weeks for it to be delivered.
Domeani

Post by Domeani »

Got my hands on my 1042-S finally (Mar 13th, two days before the deadline). I've entered all the updated info into TaxAct. My dollar numbers were the same, other than the 1042-S rounding to the dollar. Adding the UFI, correct chapter indicator, exemption codes, WA's EIN, WA's info, etc. does change the fact the 1042-S's income does not get driven to the 1040-NR on TaxAct. Per here https://www.taxact.com/support/22362/20 ... turns-only that is correct (ie. "Any income entered on Form 1042-S will not transfer anywhere else in the program. It must be manually entered on the applicable form(s) or schedule(s) to be properly reported on your return.") and within TaxAct online's 1042-S it says: "Codes 18, 19, and 20 Income entered with codes 18, 19, and 20 will be automatically transferred to Form 1040NR." My income code is 15. I have called TaxAct as asked them how I manually get the gross income from the 1042-S to line 4b of the 1040-NR and they are looking into it for me. The only way I can manually do it on their website is to create a 1099-R (which I have not, and will not, receive) and put the same gross income as the 1042-S amount to get an entry on line 4b, and properly calculate the tax. If TaxAct does not have a solution I will have to snail mail the forms. Also of note their software ticks line 8 on Schedule 2 and simply puts the 10% penalty there, saying I don't need to attach form 5329, which I believe I do. Hopefully they can uncheck it, but the whole online system is very automated, rather than manual (as it should be).

nelsona wrote:
> Its not miscellaneous income -- it's IRA income. Nothing else. Line 4a/4b
> on page 1, or line 7 of the NEC Schedule. Plus penalty from 1040 scheduke
> 2, reported on line 17 of 1040-NR.
>
> If it doesn't put it there, it (or you) are not doing it right.
Domeani

Post by Domeani »

Uggh...I think I may know the issue. Paying for TaxAct was an issue start of March, even with a US domiciled CC (which seemed mandatory - else I would have tried with a Canadian one when the US one failed). I have no idea why payment wouldn't go through, my CC provider saw the TaxAct transactions but was not refusing them and could see TaxAct was. Even I saw them, but pending transactions at a $0 amount. There must have been 10 or so charges but the payment always failed. Was on the phone for 40 min with TaxAct trying to pay and the agent eventually gave up and credited me the entire amount. My order total is thus $0 now and I thought it was paid, BUT if I continue from the payment page it says 'Payment Not Processed' even with a $0 order total. They initially suggested I fill out a 1099-R, which seems wrong as I don't have this form, to fudge line 4b. Then the last agent I spoke to suggested I can simply edit the line items 1040-NR once the return is paid. Since mine technically isn't, I can't. If I can get to some 'paid' state then maybe I can simply add the gross amount on line 4b of the 1040-NR and be done with this. What a PITA.
Domeani

Post by Domeani »

That's not it. Status changed to 'paid' today. The 1040-NR is not editable. There is no way to add line 4b income other than creating a 1099-R that I never got. Must have spent 4+ hrs on phone with TaxAct now. Unfortunately not a good solution for doing this return. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated?