Canadian incorporated self employed working from USA on L2S visa?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sarahg

Canadian incorporated self employed working from USA on L2S visa?

Post by sarahg »

Hi everyone,

My spouse and I are Canadian citizens residing in the USA on L1A and L2S visas for few months.

I am currently incorporated in Canada. I do consulting work for my employer who pays my incorporation in Canadian dollars to a Canadian bank account.

(1) As an L2S visa holder, can I work from the USA (my incorporation is set up in canada. I have not set up anything in usa) and get paid in Canadian funds to my Canadian bank account through my incorporation?

(2) Do I need to register my business/LLC/incorporation in the USA or can I continue to work as is without doing anything here in USA?

(3) Do I need to do any additional paperwork besides filing taxes in both Canada and the USA?

(4) Additionally, what forms do I need to submit for US and Canadian tax returns?

(5) How much would tax lawyer/attorney charge for tax planning, i am looking to hire one?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.
nelsona

Re: Canadian incorporated self employed working from USA on L2S visa?

Post by nelsona »

As to the legality of doing other work while in US on an L1A work status, I would suggest consulting with a US immigration lawyer. There is a narrow set of circumstances that would such work,

L2S status are allowed to work anywhere at anything, so this would not be a problem for the spouse. They used to be required to first obtain an EAD, but this is no longer the case. A valid I-94 is sufficient work authorization.

Your other tax related questions are far too broad to be dealt with in a thread on a forum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sarahg

Re: Canadian incorporated self employed working from USA on L2S visa?

Post by sarahg »

Thank you Nelsona for the response i appreciate it

Sure for tax related, i might just hire tax attorney and get clarifications.

Would you happen to know on question number (2) Do I need to register my business/LLC/incorporation in the USA or can I continue to work as is without doing anything here in USA?
I am on L2S

Thank you
Sarah