dividend taxation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pokka

dividend taxation

Post by pokka »

Hi All,
I would be grateful for some guidance on taxation of dividends. I think something like this could be helpful to many people in a similar situation as they decide where to invest.

I am a US citizen, resident of Canada. I avoid Canadian ETFs because of PFIC rules.

Here is my rough approximation of what taxation of dividends looks like. I guess it cannot be perfect because FTC calculations are complicated.

ASSUMPTION: Suppose my marginal tax rate in Canada is C% and my marginal tax rate in the US is A%. Dividend income is only side income, and is not changing the tax bracket I am in.

If I get a dividend of D from a public Canadian stock (eg from BMO.TO), then I pay D * 1.38 * (C% - 15%) tax on any dividend to Canada, and I would have paid D*A% to the US, but whatever I paid to Canada gives me an FTC of almost the same amount, so overall I pay something like
max(D * 1.38 * (C% - 15%), D*A%).

If I get a dividend of D from a pure US stock (eg from AAPL), then I pay C% to Canada, and would have paid 15% to the US, but the US part gets FTC'ed to 0, so overall I pay D*C%.

If I get a dividend of D from a US listed Canadian stock (eg BMO on NYSE), then I pay D * 1.38*(C - 15)% to Canada, and D*15% to the US, and again the US part gets FTC'ed to 0, so overall I pay
D * 1.38*(C - 15)% .

Is this right? If not, is there a better way of thinking about these things?
Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Re: dividend taxation

Post by nelsona »

If your dividend tax credit exceeds the income tax you would have paid (ie. actually LOWERS your total tax), then you get no foreign credits, since you are paying no tax in canada.
In US, your Apple dividends are flat taxed depending on your total income, and could be zero, since they are qualified. The treaty doesn;t really apply to your dividends since you are US citizen, and your rate is 15% or less.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Dividends on Your US listed Cdn stock is a qualified dividend.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pokka

Post by pokka »

Thanks nelsona!

If anyone has an independent confirmation of my 3 formulas (or have their own formulas), I would be glad to hear it!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As I pointed out, your complex formulas are wrong from the start because you are including (a) US tax on qualified dividends (there are none in your tax bracket. And (b) that at your level you won't pay any Cdn tax on dividends.