US Medicare Part A for Canadians

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

formerpatriot

US Medicare Part A for Canadians

Post by formerpatriot »

After working for in the US for 10 years (and acquiring the 40 credits to be eligible for Social Security benefits), my wife moved to Canada, became a Canadian citizen and renounced her US citizenship. She lives with me in Canada and she travels to the US on average twice a year for 7 to 10 days to visit family. She is now applying for Social Security benefits (at age 63). She might get something like 800 USD per month after WEP. I have a few questions regarding Medicare Part A (MPA)

1. Is she eligible for MPA now (at age 63)?
2. If answer to question 1 is no, will she be eligible for MPA when she turns 65?
3. If answer to question 2 is yes, are there any reasons why she should not apply for MPA?

Thank you
FormerPatriot in Montreal
nelsona

Re: US Medicare Part A for Canadians

Post by nelsona »

1. No.
2. Yes, at 65
3. One does not generally apply for Part A. It is automatic at 65. It is the other parts that require electing (and paying).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
formerpatriot

Post by formerpatriot »

Thank you for the quick reply.

One follow-up question:
4. At 65, when covered by Medicare Part A, will she still need to purchase emergency medical insurance when she travels to the US (car accident in the US? Heart attack in the US? Etc.) or will Medicare Part A be sufficient?

And one related question:
5. When I applied for my social security benefits (one year ago at age 66), there was no mention of Medicare Part A. Is it because I had only 28 credits?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

4. That is up to you.
5. Could be. However you should be eligible through your spouse, regardless of your work history, because she is eligible. It is possible that they don't have your relationship on file, or were more focused on the totalization agreement to work out your actual benefit. You need to call them.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

4. Be aware that there are hefty deductibles and DAILY coinsurance for hospital stays.
formerpatriot

Post by formerpatriot »

Thanks again.

After doing additional searches online, I conclude that…
- As you pointed out, Medicare Part A is not sufficient for a Canadian travelling in the US. It is better to supplement it with a standard travel emergency health care insurance purchased from Desjardins and the likes.
- Yes, I will also get Part A via my wife.
- Part A is not useless. Imagine in 15 years my wife needs to go to the US for a funeral or a wedding but can’t get insurance from Desjardins due to a medical situation. At least she’ll have Part A.