Canadian Freelancer Working for US Company

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

canworker33

Canadian Freelancer Working for US Company

Post by canworker33 »

I am a Canadian freelancer living in Canada doing freelance work for a US company where I'll be making less than $5,000 USD per annum. I have filled out form W-8BEN and provided my Canadian SIN as my FTIN to the US company. I understand how to file my Canadian taxes to avoid being double taxed. Am I required to complete a US tax return in this case as well?
canworker33

Re: Canadian Freelancer Working for US Company

Post by canworker33 »

Also, my apologies if this question has been asked and answered on this forum before. I tried searching, but couldn't find a situation that was similar to mine. I'd appreciate links to previous replies if people have them handy. Thanks!
nelsona

Re: Canadian Freelancer Working for US Company

Post by nelsona »

They should simply cut you a check with no withholding, and no need to file in US.

You aren't even physically in US, not that it would matter tax-wise.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D