Working for US Company from Canada full time

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

atlastracer

Working for US Company from Canada full time

Post by atlastracer »

I am currently working for my company's Canadian entity - living in Canada (Canadian citizen).

If I were to switch to working for the US entity (and get paid in USD) but remain living in Canada (working virtually 100% of the time). Is that possible?

From what I understand, I would:
- File US taxes and Canadian taxes (as I am still a Canadian resident and have a house in Canada) - tax treaty would solve double-taxation risk
- No longer get MSP covered, or Canadian benefits
- Require a SSN and a US Bank Account (to receive pay) - unclear if I need a visa, such as TN, to get an SSN
- No longer be exempt from tax withholding on my US-issued RSUs (currently have an W8-BEN as a Canadian)

Are there any other big considerations? Assuming of course that my employer is willing to make the change. I assume having a TN would make it easier to travel to US when required quarterly (if its not already required for SSN).

The reason I am considering this is that my company pays (roughly) double the Canadian pay to US employees for the same role and I work only with US-based co-workers already, so it would just bring me up to parity with them (which my direct leadership would support, however their hands are tied as long as I am an employee of the Canadian entity).
nelsona

Re: Working for US Company from Canada full time

Post by nelsona »

Your US firm would need to set up a Cdn payroll. So they would likely just keep you on the Cdn company books.

Many Cdns work for US-based company this way. No need, nor eligibility for an SSN, US taxes, etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Re: Working for US Company from Canada full time

Post by ND »

Speak with a Canadian PEO (Professional Employer Organization) who remotely employs workers in Canada for US companies, like Syndesus
jordanhrycyshyn@gmail.com marc@syndesus.com