Tax Resident of US or both?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lsangara

Tax Resident of US or both?

Post by lsangara »

I am a longtime Canadian resident and citizen but just last month received my US Greencard. Moved to the US border town on June 1st, got the American Drivers License and started commuting to my work in Canada. Did I lose my Canadian tax residency on this day or am I still a resident of Canada along with the US? I am single and have no kids. No properties in Canada. Thanks.
nelsona

Re: Tax Resident of US or both?

Post by nelsona »

Your departure date, for Cdn tax purposes, is June 1. You will file your CDn taxes next spring with that date as departure (an Emigrant tax return). Only your wages after that date will be considered taxable in Canada.

For US, since you now have a GC and are living in the States, you are a resident for IRS tax purposes since AT LEAST June 1. It could be earlier based on how much time you spent in US before that date.

Curious: Since you are not married and are not working in US, on what basis did you get GC?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lsangara

Post by lsangara »

thanks for your reply, nelsona, I appreciate it very much. Yes, I got the Greencard through my family sponsorship. Just one more question if you don't mind. I am kind of struggling with the long commute so trying to get a satellite place to stay for 2 or 3 weeknights in Canada to reduce the number of round trips per week. Would that make me a resident for Canada? (Any numerical threshold limits to that?) Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As long as you keep building your ties in US, and relinquishing more and more of them in Canada, number of days shouldn't matter.

Of course, since you work in Canada, you will be reporting your wages to both countries, with US giving credit for the Cdn tax.

You should be looking for either a way that you can telecommute from US with your Cdn job, or, better yet, starting your career in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lsangara

Post by lsangara »

makes sense! Thanks a lot, nelsona for your replies, you are awesome!