FTC not offsetting US taxes simply due wages being above a certain amount

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

RobC

FTC not offsetting US taxes simply due wages being above a certain amount

Post by RobC »

Hi, I'm a US person residing and earning wages in Canada, and while filling out my US tax forms, I found that the AMT kicked in and the foreign tax credit is not zeroing-out my US taxes. Here's a simplified example: Canadian wages of $150,000 USD, Canadian taxes of $50,000 USD. If I fill out the US tax forms with these values, the regular Form 1116 gives me a full credit for US taxes, but the AMT version of Form 1116 reduces the FTC by about $2,000 USD, and my Form 6251 yields an AMT of about $2,000 USD, not zero.
RobC

Re: FTC not offsetting US taxes simply due wages being above a certain amount

Post by RobC »

Whoops, I hit enter too early. Here are my questions:
1. Did I make a mistake, or for 2022 does any income above about $137k cause the AMT to kick in and not zero out my US taxes?
2. If indeed I have to pay the US $2k due to the AMT FTC not offsetting my US taxes, can I clam that $2k (after converting to CAD) on my Canadian return as a foreign tax credit?