183 days during Covid

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

JimmyG

183 days during Covid

Post by JimmyG »

I am a freelance cinematographer who has worked on and off in Canada for years. I have a corporation that gets paid for my services. Traditionally, I have filed a T2 return and get a refund for my with holding. I was in Canada working from roughly Nov 23 2020 to July 2021on 2 separate projects . I did return to the US for a couple weeks over Christmas after the 1st project and then back to YVR from Jan 1 to July 1 2021for the 2nd. In this period I quarantined 2x for 2 weeks each. My pay stubs indicate I was there for 198 days. Am I correct to be able to deduct the 28 days from that total for 170 days ? If so, how do I do that. Are there any other Covid reliefs for the 183 rule I should be aware of ? Also, as a US resident with a US corp would I be entitled to all of my with holding because or the treaty ? I do have a Canadian BN #

Due to personal issues, I have yet to file a return for 2021 and have a substantial amount of withholding with Canadian Revenue Service. Any info advise is greatly appreciated.

JG
nelsona

Re: 183 days during Covid

Post by nelsona »

There was a lengthy set of instructions related to covid and presence in Canada issued by CRA. I would suggest you read it over for your situation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thank you !
Where can I find the specific info ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You'll have to search.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D