Underused Housing Tax and Election (UHT)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

queenwest

Underused Housing Tax and Election (UHT)

Post by queenwest »

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if Canadian citizens are exempt from this new UHT tax information filing? My husband and I are GC holders, US residents and CDN citizens and have a rental property in Ontario. We pay withholding and file non resident taxes each year. Now there's this new requirement for filing UHTs. The information on the CRA website isn't entirely clear(at least to me - a lay person) about the filing requirement. It states that CDN citizens may be exempt if they are not a part of a trust or partnership. We are not a 'partnership' in the technical sense...just joint owners.

thanks so much!
nelsona

Re: Underused Housing Tax and Election (UHT)

Post by nelsona »

It would appear that citizenship is less important that residency in this case, since you are a non-resident, you likely must file. There may be other exemptions that you would qualify for, if for example, it is occupied more than 1/2 the year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
queenwest

Post by queenwest »

Thanks! The property was rented and occupied for all of 2022.
DevonLamoreaux

Post by DevonLamoreaux »

2022 ? I think you got one number wrong)
queenwest

Post by queenwest »

sorry perhaps I misunderstood - the UHT filing is for 2022 is it not?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, it is a yearly filing beginning with the 2022 tax year,
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D