Gameplan for TFSA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

agrisiva

Gameplan for TFSA

Post by agrisiva »

My spouse and I have TFSA accounts with a discount broker invested in ETFs. We are becoming US Legal Permanent Residents end of this month. We would like to keep our accounts for our future retirement in Canada. This forum and senior members are awesome, and I went through several threads on filing requirements, and this is what we are inclining to do with our two accounts. We sold our winners and bumped up the cost basis already.

File these forms end of the year and pay full taxes to the IRS.
- FBAR
- PFIC 8621 for my ETFs
- No, not going to file 3520/3520A

I will appreciate any thoughts or comments....
taxesarehardd

Re: Gameplan for TFSA

Post by taxesarehardd »

One thing to keep in mind if you are long term green card holder (LPR) is that the TFSA could be subject to exit tax when you move back. Also, I am not sure why having PFICs is worth it, there are plenty of US etfs you can buy that will avoid this headache.
agrisiva

Post by agrisiva »

thanks @taxesarehardd for your comments. When you said US ETFs, did you mean the ones that trade in NewYork that I can buy after I convert my CAD to USD within my Questrade account?
cadusd

Post by cadusd »

Curious, also a LPR from Canada. Did you still end up keeping your TFSA?
agrisiva

Post by agrisiva »

yes, we both still our TFSA accounts. I am waiting for my positions to turn positive as I don't want to sell them and lock-in the paper loss.
mariarand

Post by mariarand »

Like many investment advisors, Adrian Mastracci considers tax-free savings accounts an important part of a total financial game plan.
Phisixkl

Post by Phisixkl »

Adrian Mastracci, like a lot of investment advisors, views tax-free savings accounts as a crucial component of a comprehensive financial strategy.