Tax residency for TN holder having wife and kid in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bikroy

Tax residency for TN holder having wife and kid in Canada

Post by bikroy »

Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen who moved to US Oct 2022 on TN visa. I have my wife and my daughter( both Canadian citizens) still in Canada in an apartment rented in my name. I also have two bank accounts and credit cards in Canada. Recently I have filed 1040NR tax form in US as I spent 86 days in US in 2022. I would like to know if I would be considered as a resident for Canadian tax purposes. Any advice is appreciated in this regard.
Thanks in advance,
nelsona

Re: Tax residency for TN holder having wife and kid in Canada

Post by nelsona »

Since October, do you (a) visit your family, or (b) do they visit you.

If (a) you are still a Cdn resident for tax purpose. if not you are a deemed non-resident of Canada for tax purposes, since October.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bikroy

Post by bikroy »

I have visited my family in Canada , but in March 2023, not between Oct2022 and Dec31st 2022. My family has also visited me ( on Nov 2022)
In this case, am I still considered a resident for tax purpose ?
Thanks in advance .
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are still resident of Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bikroy

Post by bikroy »

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

In order to break Cdn residency, you will have to severely limit your trips to canada in comparison to your family visiting you. Having a home and spouse in canada is hard to overcome. Once they move down to US, then you will be non-resident from that day.