Worked remotely in US for Canadian employer for 8 months

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

perceptronz

Worked remotely in US for Canadian employer for 8 months

Post by perceptronz »

From January to August 2022, I lived in the US with my husband on L2 visa. During the period, I worked remotely for my Canadian employer (on Canadian payroll the whole time). We have our house in Canada available to us the whole time and I actually went back for a month in May.

At that time we had the naive thought this was the best plan as we knew we would return to Canada in 8 months, but as soon as I started looking into my 2022 taxes, I realized the risks and complication for my employer and myself, but it’s already too late.

Now how can I make the tax situation as less painful as possible? On the IRS side, I have to pay taxes for the 8 months, but employer has withheld CAD taxes already. Can I get it back from CRA? Anything I need to pay attention to when filing my US taxes?
My bigger concern is potential tax implications to my employer. I’ve been here for over 6 years and still am, and love my job. I made an honest mistake because I genuinely had no idea. What’s the best thing I can do now? Be honest to them about my presence in US?

Thanks in advance.